Monday, October 8, 2012

5 Audio Books that I LOVE!

I am ALL ABOUT the audio book! I used to be able to read as many books as I wanted but now as a busy wife, homeschooler, and writer...boy, that made me tired just typing that...audio books are just the way to go.

I am a faithful subscriber to AUDIBLE. It's affordable and worth it!

I listened to a lot of audio books while my hubby was deployed since my reading time was even more limited. They were like friends who would tag along with me on a trip or while I washed dishes. I'm so thankful for the technology of audio books...and iPhones!

Here's a list of 5 books (in no particular order) I've recently listened to that I LOVE. Not all of these are from Audible...fyi.

5. Saturdays with Stella by Allison Pittman. It is also read by the author...which is really fun! So, I loved this book. It's nonfiction and filled with sweet nuggets of knowledge that the author learned from her puppy. I have to admit...Allison is one of my best friends...a writing mentor to me for several years...I highly recommend this book.

4. The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. I've listened to this several times in the past few years because the message is so very powerful. It is difficult to hear because of the terror that she went through in a Nazi labor camp...but the faithfulness she found in the Lord and her message to the masses...outstanding. I cannot recommend this book more.

3. Rilla of Ingleside by Lucy Maud Montgomery. One of my favorite classical writers. I have read tons by LM Montgomery and this is one of my favorites. It translates so well to audio. I laughed. I cried...then cried a little more. This one particularly I listened to for free on Librivox. All the readers are volunteers. I especially loved the reader of this book. Oh, and...THERE IS AN APP FOR THAT. ;-) Check it out.

2.  Lady in Waiting by Susan Meissner. This was a fantastic story. It goes between a contemporary setting and storyline and a historical one. I just love when an author can do this effectively. I could not put this book down...er...take the headphones off. ;-) It happens to be one of my favorite historical eras of all time...since I'm obsessed with all things Henry VIII listening to a story that surrounds the era just after his death is fascinating to me.

1. A Heart Most Worthy by Siri Mitchell. This is a wonderful story by an author that I just admire so much. Her writing is impeccable and her story lines are less traditional or expected. Three women, three pasts to overcome and three futures in jeopardy. Early American setting and a beautiful read. Highly recommended.

These are just 5 of the wonderful books out there on audio just waiting for you to listen to. Right now I'm listening to The Kitchen House. Not only am I enamored with the rawness and realness of this book but the narration is very good. There are 2 women narrating and I couldn't have "casted" their voices better.

You're turn: Do you listen to books? If so, what would you recommend? If you don't...are you intrigued? 

Cheers,
Elizabeth

1 comment:

Mocha with Linda said...

Loved all those books, but I read them. I can't listen to book; I'm a visual person. Fun list!