Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Interview with Gina Conroy!

I've had the pleasure of e-meeting Gina through several online channels. She's a fascinating woman and I have a lot in common with her...namely that we're both Christian wives, writers, and mom's who homeschool! I'm happy to introduce to you...

GINA CONROY!

Give us a blurb about your book?

Cherry Blossom Capers is a collection of four stories featuring four women who encounter love, danger, and mystery beyond their neighborhood near Washington, D.C. 

My novella, Buried Deception, combines my love of mystery and suspense with my fascination with archaeology. I’m going to steal the words from Vickie McDonough, award-winning author of 24 books and novellas, who said this about my novella, “Murder. Thefts of priceless artifacts. An ornery, little boy with a penchant for getting into trouble. Gina Conroy's fast-paced debut novella has it all and takes readers on an emotional ride. A charming romance winds up this satisfying who-dun-it.” 

It’s a fun series of novellas where characters from previous stories have cameos in the others! So if you’re someone who hates to say goodbye to a “friend,” then you’ll enjoy the reunions in Cherry Blossom Capers. 

 What inspired you to write this book?

Several years ago when I was homeschooling, we took the kids on a cross-country trip up the east coast. I remember walking through Mount Vernon’s Mansion wondering if all the antiques were real and what would happen if one of them was a forgery? The mom character with her rambunctious kids came first, NOT that I would know anything about that sort of thing. Then came the snarky, but lovable, brooding security guard. Again, not that I would know anything about sarcasm...


Tell us about a transitional moment/experience in your life?

A transitional period in my life came after I had picked up writing again after ten years off to raise my four kids. I didn't know it was possible to write and raise kids, so when my youngest was two, I thought it was time! Except, I think I had all this stored up passion and went a little overboard as my life got out of balance.

About the time I picked up writing again, I did something I swore I'd never do. Homeschool. My oldest was going into 4th and my 2nd, 2nd grade. It was the most trying time of my life and when things did get out of balance, God asked me to lay down my writing for a season. You can read my heart wrenching surrender here. The writing sabbatical lasted eight months and it's all documented on my blog in my Letting Go and Things that Make Me Go Ouch posts! Now my youngest is 9 and I think I'm finally on track to finding that balance!


Where can we find you on the web and what should we expect?

For a more personal account of my life and triumphs and trials as I pursue my dreams along side my kids' dream, you can find me blogging at Defying Gravity.

I share my writing insecurities and celebrations, but also share fun stuff about my family like when my kids got a Disney audition call back! After all, my blog is all about helping people follow their dreams, and I have to include my own children!

For posts related to all types of writing, I blog ever Friday at Writer...Interrupted, the site I founded when I was trying to figure out how to balance raising my family with pursuing my writing career. The rest of the week writers, agents and editors guest post and the archives is full of great information for the busy writer!

If you just have to keep up with my daily life, follow me on Facebook or for a more professional view of my life there's my Author Page. I'm also on Twitter and have a Facebook Page just for Writer...Interrupted.

Gina Conroy is president and founder of Writer...Interrupted where she mentors busy writers. Knowing how difficult it is to raise a family as well as a career, she chronicles her triumphs and trials on Defying Gravity, hoping to encourage those on a similar path. She is represented by Chip MacGregor of MacGregor Literary, and her first novella, Buried Deception, in the Cherry Blossom Capers Collection, releases from Barbour Publishing in January 2012. Gina loves to connect with readers on Facebook and Twitter

No comments: