Wednesday, November 14, 2012

5 things I'm learning about my own writing quirks...


5-Chapter plotting really helps me keep the story moving. As much as I love the idea of being an organic writer...I know where my weaknesses are and keeping the middle moving works best if I have it plotted out.

4-Sometimes voice comes easily and other times it doesn't. When it comes, be thankful...when it doesn't, I'm learning that I just need to keep writing. I can always go back and fix voice issues...but if I sit on it and expect to fix it right then, it just holds me up too much.

3-Talking (and more talking, restating, & repeating) out loud about the current book I'm writing really helps me work out the kinks. I'm fortunate to have a husband and mom who both enjoy brainstorming...and they are both really good at it! This is sometimes the only way I can work out a plot issue.

2-I need to have realistic expectations. I tend to put way too much pressure on myself and then feel completely let down when I don't meet up with them. A goal to challenge me works...but it needs to be realistic.

1-The only way I can finish a book is by writing a lot...like 80,000 to 90,000 words of writing. This may require a certain amount of crying, rolling my eyes (at myself), a fair amount of deleting, and a really sore hind-end. That's actually happening right now...I need to get a new office chair.

Exciting News: For those of you who don't know yet...I will be writing a 3 book Amish series set in World War 2 for Howard Books (imprint of Simon & Schuster). I am beyond thrilled and so very thankful to my agent Natasha Kern. I feel especially blessed by God for this opportunity. This is really a dream come true. I cannot wait to be able to share more details with all of you lovely readers.

Cheers,
Elizabeth

Your turn: I'm learning about my writing quirks...what are you learning about yourself? I'd love to hear about it in the comments. 

3 comments:

Raquel Martina Martinez said...

I learned that I need to sit and write everyday. Easier said than done, so I set an egg timer and do nothing but write until it rings, then I can take a break, read Facebook, etc. I also learned that I do not add "and" when I write in a series of three anything. I think it is because I want to imply that the three are not the end of the series. I also love appositives and am learning to use them in different places in long sentences.

Unknown said...

Great post and writing tips!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could be that DEDICATED!

But, I still write.

Look forward to your next book!

God bless you four,

Wayne