Thursday, January 26, 2012

Welcome, Karen Baney, Author of Nickles!


I’m hosting an exciting author today! She's a fellow indy writer, like me, and has already published a series of historical books AND her newest contemporary book NICKLES hit the online shelves a few weeks ago. Some things that I’ve gleaned from Karen is that she seems like she has SO MUCH ENERGY! And her confidence appears to be well-grounded in her faith and God. These things made me really want to share this talented author with all of you!


Karen Baney, in addition to writing Christian historical fiction and contemporary novels, works as a Software Engineer.

When she’s not busy writing, she enjoys traveling the state of Arizona with her husband, exploring museums and the picturesque landscapes the state has to offer.

Her faith plays an important role both in her life and in her writing.  Karen and her husband make their home in Gilbert, Arizona, with their two dogs.  She also holds a Masters of Business Administration from Arizona State University.

Twitter handle:  @karen_baney
Where to buy book(s) http://amazon.com/author/karenbaney  

1.    Give a blurb about Nickles?

Niki Turner has finally arrived. Her career as a Software Engineer is soaring—she has just been offered the company’s most sought after account, Helitronics. Life would be perfect, if she could stop her roommate from playing matchmaker.

Then Kyle Jacobs mysteriously re-enters her life. As painful memories resurface, his presence turns her life upside down and threatens to waylay her career. She must find a way to work with him—after all, he’s the helicopter flight consultant for the new flight control system she’s coding.

Can she forget the past and see him as the new man he has become? Or will her resentment keep her from finding what she has always been searching for?

This contemporary novel is an upbeat and compelling story set in the Phoenix Metro Area. Karen Baney shows a new side to her writing with great wit and banter between the main characters. Inspired by her love of romance and of computers, this story takes readers on a journey filled with laughter and tears.


2.    What inspired you to write Nickles?

I am a software engineer by day, author by night.  I thought it would be fun to write a book that shows what a fun group of people geeks can be.  Thus, Nickels came to be.

I also wanted to include aspects of the military.  I spent time overseas married to an Airman and decided to draw on those experiences to provide the backdrop for Niki’s teen years and Kyle’s life as a military brat who followed in his father’s footsteps.

When I started writing this book, I really didn’t know it would take Niki so deep.  She’s suffered tremendous grief in her life and has to learn to move on.  I was even more surprised when grief became one of the themes in Kyle’s life.  I think it helps draw the two characters together. 

I’ve experienced loss of someone very close to me over ten years ago and I wanted to show readers that everyone deals with it differently.  Friends and family may tell you its time to move on, but you are the only one that can decide to.  In some respects, you never move on completely.

3.    Tell us about a transitional moment/experience on your life?

One of the biggest transitional moments in my life came in Mar. 2010.  I had to have surgery on my hand and ended up taking some time off work.  I couldn’t do much with my right hand (yup – the dominant one) all wrapped up mummy-style.  This became a time of great personal reflection for me.

I had accepted many years ago that I am not called to be a mom.  But accepting it and living with the feeling that my life is missing something important are two different things.  I asked God, “If you haven’t called me to be a mom, then what have you called me to do?”

He said, “Write.”

I had no idea what to write.  So after a little more prayer, Prescott Pioneers 1: A Dream Unfolding was born.  In 30 days I had the first draft written – spending every weekend and evening on it.  It took me awhile to learn more about writing and self publishing, but by Dec. 2010, A Dream Unfolding was released.

The ideas keep coming – faster than I have time to get them down on paper – but in His time, each story unfolds with the theme He desires it to have.

4.    What are some things we can expect from a Karen Baney book?

I love getting inside of the characters’ heads.  Many readers have commented that they hate for the book to end because they feel like the characters have become close friends.  I like to write realistic and identifiable characters regardless of setting, job, geography, etc.

In Nickels, my humorous side shows a bit more than in my Prescott Pioneers Series.  But, the historical series is heavily researched.  I love history and it totally shows.  I even give readers hints on what is real and what was imagined at the end of the book in the author’s note.

I also love throw characters into extreme situations.  Pile on the trouble.  Just when you think it’s going to get better – BAM!  Life throws them another curve ball.  Why do I do this?  Because I think many of us can relate.  Seems like there’s always more than one major thing going on at a time.

Yet, God is good and he is always there for us.  Regardless of a character’s belief, I hope readers will always hear the message that God never forsakes and never leaves us.


Thank you, Karen, for sharing yourself and Nickles with us. I have so enjoyed watching your success as we correspond online and hope that someday we can meet in “real life.”

Your turn: Do you have a life event that transitioned you into a new career or a dream you didn’t realize you had? I’d love to hear your story!

Cheers,
Elizabeth

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I was in my early 20s when I went a Christian concert. Before it began they asked for all the youth leaders to go to a special breakout session and get a free gift. In hindsight asking all the leadership to leave was probably a bad idea. Seeing how our youth group had about seven leaders two of us decided to go. It turned into an informational meeting. *rolls eyes* We walked away with a packet of brochures. Before throwing it out I decided to read through it. I was about halfway through the brochure (book) on mission when I knew I HAD to go on one of the trips. I signed up and headed off to the Dominican Republic that summer. Before, during, and after the mission trip I got to know more about the ministry I went with. I had been completely against interning with them, but of course God was calling me. The next summer I found myself back on Teen Mania's campus as an intern in their Honor Academy.

KarenB said...

Elizabeth - thanks so much for hosting me today!